Interesting People mailing list archives

Re 6 charts that explain why American politics is so broken

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 20:12:36 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Gilmore <gnu () toad com>
Date: October 28, 2017 at 7:58:22 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, gnu () toad com
Subject: Re: [IP] 6 charts that explain why American politics is so broken

How to Lie with Statistics (a great book, by the way):

 https://openlibrary.org/works/OL2975855W/How_to_lie_with_statistics

The Vox article claims:

 Yet the view of immigrants as a burden is completely overwhelming
 among one Republican-leaning subgroup -- "Country First
 Conservatives."

That's because the people interpreting the survey *used the results of
this question* to define that subgroup.  Every one of the people in
the subgroup answered that immigrants are a burden.  Not because lots
of people agree with that (it's only 6% of the population).  But
because the people making the charts DECIDED that people who said
migrants are a burden, should be called "Country First Conservatives".

   John

PS: "immigrant" has become a biased word in our era.  A much better
word for examining the phenomenon of people who cross borders is
"migrant".  Every immigrant is also an emigrant; that is, they
enter one country, and leave another.  Yet I seldom hear about the big
problem that emigrants are causing -- despite them being the same
people as the immigrants.  People seem to have much more balanced
views of "migrants" than they do of "im-migrants".