Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Verizon Wants FCC to Ban States From Protecting Your Privacy

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 10:34:49 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bill D. Herman" <billdherman () gmail com>
Date: November 2, 2017 at 10:00:56 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Verizon Wants FCC to Ban States From Protecting Your Privacy

[For IP if you wish]

They don't want to get Californicated like the auto industry with emissions standards... Detroit has had to innovate,
and we all get to breathe better. What a terrible deal that's been!

If telecoms would just stop monetizing our personal information, they'd surely have no trouble meeting virtually any
pro-privacy policy that might get passed. But heaven forbid we take away that stream of additional revenue—built on
the thinnest legal fig leaf of "consent," and brought in above and beyond their monopoly/duopoly rents.

Of course, the broadband industry is perfectly happy to go to the state legislatures and demand bans on
municipalities deploying their own networks--probably the single policy push that's had the greatest effect against
investment and deployment in US internet history.

And yes, I know they've "promised" they won't sell our browsing histories, but what they actually want to do is (ala
Facbeook) is keep giant dossiers on us and use that to better sell ads. See, for instance:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2017/03/30/fcc-privacy-rules-how-isps-will-actually-sell-your-data/

And of course, these dossiers are just one leak away from becoming quite public...

Sigh,
Bill