Interesting People mailing list archives

Re AI activists turn concerns about killer robots into a horror movie – GeekWire

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 09:00:44 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Geoff Kuenning <geoff () cs hmc edu>
Subject: Re: [IP] AI activists turn concerns about killer robots into a horror movie – GeekWire
Date: November 16, 2017 at 12:44:33 PM EST
To: dave () farber net

I fear it's already too late to put the genie back in the bottle.

The thing that has kept nuclear technology limited is that it's really hard to do (see Iran's centrifuges).  Drones
similar to the ones in the video are available as toys.  The face-recognition software is downloadble.  So all you
need to do is make the shaped charges; I don't know how hard that is but I'm guessing not very.

That leaves a bit of guidance software and some integration.

A couple of tiny bits of good news: finding the target isn't just a matter of launching the drone; the search space
can be large. And if you see the video's drone coming (and if there's only one) a victim might be able to swat it
away; better to lose a hand than be killed.

But it's still one of the scariest things I've seen in a long time.
--
  Geoff Kuenning   geoff () cs hmc edu    http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/

An Internet that is not Open represents a potentially grave risk to
freedoms of many sorts -- freedom of speech and other civil liberties,
freedom of commerce, and more -- and that openness is what we must so
diligently work to both preserve and expand.
              -- Lauren Weinstein