Interesting People mailing list archives

Implosion ("death spiral") of new generic top-level domains (gTLDs)

From: "DAVID FARBER" <dfarber () me com>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2017 13:29:52 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: March 9, 2017 at 11:11:28 AM EST
To: nnsquad () nnsquad org
Subject: [ NNSquad ] Implosion ("death spiral") of new generic top-level domains (gTLDs)

Implosion ("death spiral") of new generic top-level domains (gTLDs)

Forwarded with permission. My comments follow the forwarded message.

----- Forwarded message from George Kirikos <george () loffs com> -----

Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2017 01:08:45 -0500
From: George Kirikos <george () loffs com>
Subject: Re: New TLD Lunacy blog article
To: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>

Hi Lauren,

It's been a long time.....I hope you're well.

You might be pleased to know that the ICANN new gTLDs program is
imploding. See the latest debacle at:

http://domainincite.com/21603-schilling-big-price-increases-needed-to-keep-new-gtlds-alive

http://domainnamewire.com/2017/03/07/yikes-death-spiral-new-top-level-domain-names/

https://onlinedomain.com/2017/03/08/domain-name-news/frank-schilling-just-killed-new-gtld-domain-name-program-warning/

https://www.namepros.com/threads/16-new-tlds-will-get-price-increases-of-up-to-3-000.1005439/

So far, the reporting is only within the domain name industry
blogs/forums. It'll be interesting to see what happens once it reaches
the traditional/mainstream media. (perhaps once price increase notices
is given to customers, although ICANN rules don't even require
registrars to send out such notices!)

Other registrars and new gTLD registry operators are trying to do
damage control, to spin the story with empty promises, but it's too
little, too late:

http://www.domaininvesting.com/rightside-focused-on-building-relationships/

http://www.domaininvesting.com/godaddy-comments-on-uniregistry-price-increase/

It's a problem due to ICANN ignoring all the input of people like
yourself way back when.

On the bright side, you can sleep well knowing you were on the right
side of that debate.

Sincerely,

George

George Kirikos
CEO

--- Forwarded message ends ---

Well, I take no real pleasure from this. It was entirely predictable,
because it was clear from the outset that there was no intrinsic demand
for the vast majority of these new gTLDs, except within the
domain-industrial complex itself (the" domainers") who had convinced
themselves that these were a gold mine, and falsely assumed that suckers
would rush to buy them.

A few of the new gTLDs have been "relatively" successful, but nearly all
of the rest are mainly viewed by the public as trash heaps most likely
to be the source of spam, phishing attacks, and other frauds. As such,
many of these new gTLDs are widely blocked. These even include gTLDs
like .xyz, which is pretty much as polluted as the rest, despite the
presence of Alphabet's (extremely limited) home page within there.

Another prediction I made early on was that the plethora of new gTLDs
would serve to *increase* the value of .com domains, since the latter
would increasingly be viewed as the primary "real" gTLD apart from the
clutter of all the new trash gTLDs. Anecdotal evidence very strongly
suggests that this has been the case.

Finally, I'll note that being right about this stuff, plus one dollar,
will buy you a cup of pretty crummy coffee.

--Lauren--