Interesting People mailing list archives

"Move Fast and Break Trust"

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2017 18:03:23 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: March 7, 2017 at 5:55:14 PM EST
To: nnsquad () nnsquad org
Subject: [ NNSquad ] "Move Fast and Break Trust"

"Move Fast and Break Trust"

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2017/03/google_s_featured_snippets_and_uber_s_self_driving_slip_ups_point_to_a_problem.html

     Machine learning is expected to power advances in fields as
   diverse as finance, journalism, and medical diagnosis. As
   these technologies proliferate, the same dynamic that
   encouraged Uber to put flawed self-driving cars on city
   streets will push other companies to release products with
   potentially dangerous flaws that we haven't yet anticipated.
   The moral here is not that we should ban artificial
   intelligence or demonize the companies that develop it. But
   there's a strong need for regulators and consumer protection
   agencies to better understand these technologies, so that they
   can apply the proper scrutiny and enforce standards where
   necessary. Artificial intelligence from the likes of Google
   and Uber might reshape our lives in wonderful ways. But in the
   meantime, we should be wary of their early efforts.

- - -

--Lauren--