Interesting People mailing list archives

Bold Promises Fade to Doubts for a Trump-Linked Data Firm

From: "DAVID FARBER" <dfarber () me com>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 11:59:58 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: March 6, 2017 at 11:16:30 AM EST
To: nnsquad () nnsquad org
Subject: [ NNSquad ] Bold Promises Fade to Doubts for a Trump-Linked Data Firm

Bold Promises Fade to Doubts for a Trump-Linked Data Firm

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/06/us/politics/cambridge-analytica.html

     But a dozen Republican consultants and former Trump campaign
   aides, along with current and former Cambridge employees, say
   the company's ability to exploit personality profiles -- "our
   secret sauce," Mr. Nix once called it -- is exaggerated.
   Cambridge executives now concede that the company never used
   psychographics in the Trump campaign. The technology --
   prominently featured in the firm's sales materials and in
   media reports that cast Cambridge as a master of the dark
   campaign arts -- remains unproved, according to former
   employees and Republicans familiar with the firm's work.
   "They've got a lot of really smart people," said Brent
   Seaborn, managing partner of TargetPoint, a rival business
   that also provided voter data to the Trump campaign. "But it's
   not as easy as it looks to transition from being excellent at
   one thing and bringing it into politics. I think there's a big
   question about whether we think psychographic profiling even
   works."

- - -

--Lauren--