Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Airline Electronics Ban Is Protectionism, Not Security | Sascha Segan | PCMag.com

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 05:30:09 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Abe Singer <abe () oyvay nu>
Date: Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 9:29 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Airline Electronics Ban Is Protectionism, Not Security
| Sascha Segan | PCMag.com
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

Inconvenience aside, this requirement imposes a risk to all who check
their laptops.  The opportunities for theft from luggage have skyrocketed
since TSA required all luggage to be unlockable.   These days I always
carry-on electronics and other valuables.

And yes, there was always a risk of theft of/from luggage, but at least
I could take steps to prevent opportunistic pilfering.  TSA now xrays
my luggage, so they know ahead of time if there's anything valuable.
TSA inspectors themselves have been caught stealing equipment, let alone
all of the other air travel employees who have access to my (unlocked)*
luggage while it is out of my sight.  And TSA takes no responsibiilty
for any dammage to or loss from your luggage, even when it is TSA agents
who are responsible.

I've felt for a long time that TSA should be applying similar security
measures
to their own agents as they do to passengers, but to prevent agents from
absconing with passenger property.

* Yes, there are those "TSA compliant" locks.  Wanna take bets on how many
people outside of the TSA also have copies of those keys, in addition to
any morally compromised inspectors?

P.S.  And not just with regard to baggage handling.. Recently TSA agent
at a checkpoint told me that they sometimes see people steal wallets,
etc. form the belt on the x-ray machine *before* it goes through security
and then walk out with it. The agents have been directed to take no
action when they see  that happen.