Interesting People mailing list archives

Re United States Constitution -- 21st Century Convention

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 17:03:30 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Greg Brooks <gregb () west-third com>
Date: Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 1:01 PM
Subject: RE: [IP] United States Constitution -- 21st Century Convention
To: <dave () farber net>, ip <ip () listbox com>
Cc: <ecgrimm () me com>

Dave, for IP if you wish.

There are two major efforts for “Article V” constitutional reform at
present. Both have presented at ALEC and both are darlings in the wonkier
end of the conservative movement, although one also has some notable
support on the left as well.

The broader effort is being undertaken by Convention of States, which is
pursing a wide-open convention. Their process will require two transits
through the states (they’re working on the first one now) and the soonest
anyone can imagine them getting to a convention is about 10 years.

The second, narrower effort is being undertaken by the Compact For America
Educational Foundation, and involves using an interstate compact to lock in
(and reduce risk from) the variables of a convention. The compact approach
is being used for a specific amendment “payload” – a balanced-budget and
debt-ceiling amendment, in this case – and eliminates fears of a runaway
convention. This lock-in also means only a single trip to the states; an
amendment could go from zero to adoption in as little as 18 months.

Both are red-meat conservative organizations, but the CFA approach has also
been lauded by Lawrence Lessig for its adaptability in pursuing
other-than-conservative policy goals.

The laundry list of possible amendments Eric mentioned would be the kind of
thing you’d expect in an open convention. But as a political reality?
People across all ideological stripes get twitchy when you start talking
about amending the Constitution, and I think the narrower approach of CFA
has a better shot. With momentum and starting from scratch? You’d probably
need about $25 million to make it happen.

(I should note that there’s nothing in the CFA approach that limits it to a
single amendment. You could bundle multiple amendments into a single
interstate compact mechanism, but the more you put it, the more likely
people are to find a reason not to like it.)

Greg Brooks

West Third Group

(Disclaimer: I have worked with CFA in the past.)