Interesting People mailing list archives

Scientist Michael Mann on 'Low-Probability But Catastrophic' Climate Scenarios

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 14:53:48 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Scientist Michael Mann on 'Low-Probability But Catastrophic' Climate Scenarios
Date: July 11, 2017 at 2:16:14 PM EDT
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>

Scientist Michael Mann on ‘Low-Probability But Catastrophic’ Climate Scenarios
By David Wallace-Wells
Jul 11 2017
<http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/scientist-michael-mann-on-climate-scenarios.html>

This week, to accompany our cover story on worst-case climate scenarios, we’re publishing a series of extended
interviews with climatologists on the subject — most of them from the “godfather generation” of scientists who first
raised the alarm about global warming several decades ago.

Michael Mann is a climatologist at Pennsylvania State University, known primarily for his 1999 “hockey stick graph”
of global mean temperatures (which shoots up quite dramatically in the 20th century). He has also been steadily
involved in the United Nations’ periodic IPCC state-of-the-planet reports, and with Lee Kump has even adapted those
reports into a popular, accessible book summarizing the findings. The book, which was updated to reflect the most
recent reports, is called Dire Predictions.

Shortly after this week’s cover story was published, Mann took to Facebook to voice some criticism of it — primarily
about its framing, which he described as counterproductively “doomist.” Personally, I don’t think we’re doomed, just
facing down a very big challenge. But I own up to the alarmism in the story, which I describe as an effort to survey
the worst-case-scenario climate landscape. We have suffered from a terrible failure of imagination when it comes to
climate change, I argue, and that is in part because most of us do not understand the real risks and horrors that
warming can bring, especially with unabated carbon emissions. For the sake of clarity: I do not believe that the
planet will become uninhabitable in 2100. As I write in the story, our complacency will surely be shaken before we
get there. But I do believe that it is important to contemplate the possibility that parts of the tropics and equator
will become cripplingly hot, for instance, or that our agriculture will suffer huge losses, so that we may be
motivated to take action before we get to those eventualities. And I do believe that, absent a significant change in
human behavior across the globe, they are plausible eventualities.

Mann also took issue with a few particular points of science. He stressed that the danger of the carbon frozen in the
arctic permafrost was not a “game-changing arctic methane time bomb” and, separately, he suggested that the recent
upward revision to a particular satellite data set on warming was less significant than I made it out to be. My
purpose in raising the permafrost issue was to illustrate how uncertain much of our current modeling can be, not to
suggest a sudden methane release would be the major cause of devastating warming: I based none of the warming
scenarios described in the piece on a dramatic methane release effect but rather on the high end of the IPCC’s
business-as-usual estimate, which gave a roughly 5 percent chance of our hitting eight degrees of warming by 2100.
Regarding the data set, I grant that the upward revision may have been less meaningful to the scientists close to the
data, who understood it as a revision toward expectations, than it was to journalists covering the development from
afar, who focused on the fact of the revision itself.

I have an enormous respect for Mann, and for his perspective on climate change — he has been an invaluable force both
as a scientist and as an advocate. That is one reason why I called him up, during my research, to talk to him about
what he thought about the low-probability, high-horror possibilities of climate change. Given his criticisms of my
story, we’ve decided to run this transcript unedited.

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: <http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/>