Interesting People mailing list archives

300 Scientists Tell Trump to Leave UN Climate Agreement?

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 14:36:40 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Suzanne Johnson <fuhn () pobox com>
Date: February 27, 2017 at 2:26:29 PM EST
To: "DAVID J. FARBER" <farber () gmail com>
Subject: 300 Scientists Tell Trump to Leave UN Climate Agreement?

....clip

If you read the headlines, it might have seemed impressive: “300 Scientists Tell Trump to Leave UN Climate
Agreement.” Wow, 300 scientists. That’s a lot right? Actually, it’s a pitiful list.

First of all, hardly anyone on the list was a climate scientist; many were not even natural scientists. It is almost
as though anyone with a college degree (and there are about 21 million enrolled in higher education programs just in
the USA) was qualified to sign that letter.

Okay but what about the signers of the letter? Surely they are experts in the field? Not so much. It was very
difficult to find the list of signers online however I was able to acquire it with some help. See for yourself -
Google “300 scientists letter climate change” in the past week. You will see many stories in the press, but try
finding the actual letter or the list of names. The version I obtained was dated February 23, 2017 which helps narrow
your searching. In an era of Dr. Google, it is unbelievable that the letter itself was not made more available.

...clip

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2017/feb/27/just-who-are-these-300-scientists-telling-trump-to-burn-the-climate