Interesting People mailing list archives

Fwd: Re FreePress is suing the FCC. Here's how the process works.

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 17:18:01 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Larry press <larrypress () gmail com>
Date: Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 11:57 AM
Subject: Re: [IP] Re FreePress is suing the FCC. Here's how the process
works.
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

Richard Bennett wrote: "It’s a lot easier - and less consequential - for
me to switch from the Wi-Fi network back ended by Comcast to the Wi-Fi
hotspot back ended by AT&T than to switch from Facebook to Google+".

Brett Glass wrote: Customers "will very quickly switch, costing the ISP
thousands of dollars, if the ISP does anything that they
do not like".

They would be correct in the case of a competitive market, but only one
broadband provider serves my home. Some in my zip code have two choices,
but a duopoly is not a competitive market nor is a small oligopoly.

That being said, there are application and engineering-efficiency arguments
in favor of "net partiality." Some applications require low latencies or
fast data transfer and ISPs can improve network efficiency by dynamically
allocating resources.

There is no simple right or wrong answer.