Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Do Women Want to be Oppressed?

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 23:02:37 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Herb Lin <herblin () stanford edu>
Date: December 29, 2017 at 8:23:41 PM EST
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>, ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re Do Women Want to be Oppressed?

From where I stand, the issue of biological or evolutionary origins of gender disparities is a red herring and
focuses our attention on the wrong question.

Essentially everyone acknowledges the existence of gender disparities in our society.

The wrong question to ask about the existence of such disparities is “What is the root cause of those gender
disparities?”

The right question is “Regardless of cause, do we want to live in a society in which such gender disparities exist?
If the answer is yes, then we don’t need to do anything about it.  If the answer is no, then we need to do something
about it regardless of what the ‘root cause’ is.”

Let’s take something not controversial, like cystic fibrosis—well-known to be a hereditary disease.  We invest
significant sums of money to find ways of treating the disease and otherwise helping who suffer from the disease.
Why?  Because we have decided that we don’t want people with that hereditary condition to suffer from its
debilitating effects.

So the fact that a condition may be inherited is not by itself a reason for accepting the implications of that
condition without complaint or action, and I don’t particularly care about whether a given condition is or is not
inherited.  The question is whether we think that condition is desirable or not.

herb