Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Why Ajit Pai is right

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 18:15:59 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: peter royal <peter.royal () pobox com>
Date: Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 9:44 AM
Subject: Re: [IP] Fwd: Why Ajit Pai is right
To: <dave () farber net>

here’s a good rebuttal to Thompson’s essay:

https://pxlnv.com/blog/thompson-title-ii/

Thompson’s argument is exceptionally flawed, almost to the point of
disbelief. But there is one thing he may be right about: it’s fair to argue
that Title II may not be the perfect law for ISPs to be governed by. There
are reasonable arguments to be made for writing new legislation and passing
it through the appropriate channels in Congress.

But I think it’s completely absurd to change their classification without
sufficient neutrality-*guaranteeing* legislation in place.
Unfortunately, I wouldn’t
trust this Congress
<https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20170725/07464737858/here-comes-big-push-really-shitty-new-net-neutrality-law.shtml>
write and pass that law. Therefore, it is reasonable to keep ISPs under
Title II until such a bill can be passed. The “wait and see” approach
Thompson favours is not fair to consumers who get to play the part of the
lab rat against influential lobbyists, large corporations, and a
faux-populist legislative body.

--
(peter.royal|osi)@pobox.com - http://fotap.org/~osi