Interesting People mailing list archives

neutrality versus carrier laws

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 21:19:44 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Jordan Pollack <pollack () brandeis edu>
Date: Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 3:22 PM
Subject: neutrality versus carrier laws
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

Dave, I was expecting a lot of IPers to sound off on tomorrows giveaway. Of
course I am in AI not networking, but this is my take.  Maybe I'm totally wrong
about ISP's getting to spam me if the handcuffs come off, but this Forbes
piece implies the same thing:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2017/06/14/where-will-verizons-oath-stand-in-the-digital-advertising-market/#779dc07f495a

I emailed (academic gmail) my wife (comcast) that I saw a new consignment
store opened in the next town, and suddenly graphic ads for Plato's closet
were all over my screen. I will search maps for a new plumber, then my
phone started ringing with Robo-Rooter calls. Verizon and Comcast are not
ISP's anymore than Amazon is a bookstore or Google is an index. They are
conglomerates which must be regulated as CARRIERS to prevent profiting off
our privacy. Carriers cannot eavesdrop to sell us to advertisers. Ma Bell
has been jealous of Google and been lobbying for Pai's Evil Plan for years,
which explains the insane acquisition price for Yahoo. Instead of letting
them all sell us as "hot leads", the FCC must turn these new forms of mass
communication into carriers. Google Duo and Microsoft Skype and Apple
FaceTime will have AI listening to your speech, not for "overthrow the
government" but for "Camry" and "Camaro" to sell you to car dealers.
Comcast will algorithmically slide the highest bidding tv ads into your
channels with synthespians of your statistically favorite celebrities
selling you just what their AI predicts you want. Its not about throttling
Netflix, it's about you receiving collect phonesex calls after watching
porn. Netflix tax is just the propaganda Google and Facebook use to
distract the public from their mindfucking business practices. After
doubling the market cap of the baby bells, which hopefully FCC ethics
prevent directors from owning, the struggling USPS will also be allowed to
X-ray your letters to give your address to paying purveyors of junk mail.
Its just a Federal Gmail on paper! Natural communication monopolies and
duopolies must be regulated to protect public's privacy, or be broken up.

Jordan
--
Jordan B. Pollack, Chairman        http://www.cs.brandeis.edu
Computer Science Department        email:pollack () brandeis edu