Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Comcast is injecting 400+ lines of JavaScript into web pages

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2017 20:43:58 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Livingood, Jason" <Jason_Livingood () comcast com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Fwd: Comcast is injecting 400+ lines of JavaScript into web pages
Date: December 10, 2017 at 7:46:20 PM EST
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>, ip <ip () listbox com>, "gumby () henkel-wallace org" <gumby ()
henkel-wallace org>

Dave – For IP if you like.

The Comcast web notification system has been in place for nearly a decade and seems to be discovered anew every 6 –
12 months. It was initially used for malware notifications (see 2009 story
athttps://www.cnet.com/news/comcast-pop-ups-alert-customers-to-pc-infections/)
<https://www.cnet.com/news/comcast-pop-ups-alert-customers-to-pc-infections/)> and since then has been used for other
service-critical notifications. These have been a particularly effective communication channel in response to malware
infection, such as following the FBI’s takedown of the DNS-changing Alureon botnet in 2012 to urge customers to take
action to prevent the loss of their Internet service and to remove the malware.

The issue that the customer is concerned about in this instance is a notice used to inform customers of the need to
replace a cable modem that is end-of-life / end-of-service (e.g. prior to disconnect) or cannot support the speed of
their service tier. In many cases, these are DOCSIS 2.0 devices that may not have had a software update in 5 – 8+
years and for which the vendor no longer provides support – DOCSIS technology that dates to the era of Windows XP.
IIRC, that particular web notification is sent only after the customer has not acted upon several prior email
communications.

The system was documented as transparently as possible in RFC 6108 athttps://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6108
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6108> (prior to launching it we briefed several outside organizations and solicited
their feedback). That informational document explains how it works and alternatives considered. The primary
alternatives at the time were pervasive in-line DPI and using a walled garden for the notification (which would cut
off all Internet access until a customer took action), neither of which seem that great in comparison. For many years
– in fact since the inception of the system – we have said that it is imperfect and have been trying to work to find
better alternatives. On this front, the IETF recently created a new Captive Portal Interaction working group
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/capport/about/) <https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/capport/about/)>, in which we are
involved and that I’m hopeful will develop better and more standardized methods that we might use in the future.

- Jason

P.S. for David who forwarded this to your list – My response in our user forums in my view was meant to be
informational. I certainly did not intend it to be tone deaf and self-righteous and am concerned that it would be
interpreted as such. I’m open to direct feedback on how you think I could have replied differently; I’m always
learning. You have my email now – feel free to reply directly to share any advice. I’ll reach out via LinkedIn as
well.