Interesting People mailing list archives

Re GoDaddy finally took down neo-Nazi website & Google booted it next

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 12:53:16 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: DV Henkel-Wallace <gumby () henkel-wallace org>
Date: August 15, 2017 at 12:48:16 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] GoDaddy finally took down neo-Nazi website & Google booted it next

Dave,

I have been surprised at the replies to blocking these creeps.  We're ignoring the pragmatic value in keeping racism
in the public eye.

Sure, denying these losers a soapbox does make it hard for the impressionable to find them.  But it also makes it
hard for everyone else to find them too, to our detriment.  It also helps the bad guys by giving them "martyrdom"
legitimacy to their audience.  This has been well exploited by other minority ideological terrorists as well, such as
Christian or Muslim terrorists.

We've seen this in various AGs' attacks on sites like craigslist and backpage in a war on human trafficking (and
moralism).  Yes, it hurts people who want to simply engage in consenting activities but it also makes it harder to
find and intervene in human trafficking!

We've seen that driving drug activity underground (whether in the alcohol prohibition era or today) makes it harder
to help people at actual risk (and of course sweeps up those who are blameless).  It provides a subsidy to drugs
traffickers.

Et al.

In the calculus of things most wonderful (and not) about the United States, I've found the (sometimes wavering)
commitment to free speech, including horrible speech, as likely its greatest triumph.  And not just for the easy,
"glorious" reasons typically cited, but for ordinary, pragmatic reasons.

Godaddy, as a non-monopolist, is free to do business with whomever it wants.  Certainly I don't want to do business
with racist creeps or those who actively support them.  But let's not mistake pushing them away for the elimination
of their odious opinions.