Interesting People mailing list archives

Carl Sagan in 1995

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 19:35:37 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: August 14, 2017 at 6:39:08 PM EDT
To: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>, Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>, Dave Farber <dave () farber
net>
Subject: Carl Sagan in 1995

   I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or
   grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service
   and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing
   industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome
   technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no
   one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues;
   when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas
   or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching
   our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our
   critical faculties decline, unable to distinguish between what
   feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing,
   back into superstition and darkness.  The dumb down of America
   is most evident in the slow decay of substantive content in the
   enormously influential media, the 30-second sound bites (now down
   to 10 seconds or less), lowest common denominator programming,
   credulous presentations on pseudoscience and superstition,
   but especially a kind of celebration of ignorance.

       --- Carl Sagan, "The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a
           Candle in the Dark", 1995

---rsk