Interesting People mailing list archives

Nuclear expert Alex Wellerstein on North Korea and other threats

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 12:02:47 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Horgan <jhorgan () stevens edu>
Date: August 11, 2017 at 10:13:20 AM EDT
To: Dave Farber <farber () gmail com>
Cc: John Horgan <jhorgan () stevens edu>
Subject: Nuclear expert Alex Wellerstein on North Korea and other threats

Dave, I thought your list might find this Q&A with nuclear-weapons historian Alex Wellerstein interesting. He has
smart things to say about North Korea and Trump as well as nuclear terrorism, modernization, proliferation and civil
defense. Cheers, John Horgan

An excerpt from Wellerstein's remarks: "What I find most worrying about our present time is the apparent decrease in
the salience and power of the “nuclear taboo” in the United States. The American public seems more willing than it
ever has since the end of the Cold War to consider using nuclear weapons to achieve its policy aims; read Scott Sagan
and Benjamin Valentino’s recent paper on this point. The current US President seems to have no self-control, no sense
of personal (much less national) consequences, and no sense of the dangers of war or even nuclear war. It is easy to
imagine scenarios in which he might be convinced that a nuclear weapon might be a palatable option to use, and there
are essentially no legal checks (and very few possible practical checks) on his ability to order such an attack. It
is a bad thing to have to say, but I find him much more unpredictable and disturbing along these lines than, say, Kim
Jong-un, Vladimir Putin, or any of the others in the “rogue’s gallery” of people that get worried about with regards
to nuclear weapons."

For more see
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/nuclear-expert-considers-risks-of-conflict-with-north-korea/​