Interesting People mailing list archives

Sad news about Angel Jordan

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2017 15:14:34 -0400

He was a wonderful person and a valued colleague.

Dave

Begin forwarded message:

From: William Scherlis <wls () cs cmu edu>
Date: August 5, 2017 at 2:37:01 PM EDT
Subject: Sad news about Angel Jordan

Hello everyone,

I just received the sad news that our friend and colleague Angel Jordan passed away last night.

Angel had been head of CMU ECE, then dean of CIT, then Provost of the University, and then University Professor
Emeritus. For the past decade as an Emeritus Professor, he chose to reside with us here in ISR, just a few doors down
from Raj Reddy, and share with us the benefits of his wisdom and experience. Angel was active at CMU and in ISR until
just a few months ago, and, for me, he became a mentor/advisor and a good friend. Before all of this he received his
PhD and MS from the then EE department here at CMU (1959) after studying physics at Zaragoza in Spain. Any of us
traveling to Spain learned of his origins in the greater Basque country in the high Pyrenees.

Angel has had transformational influence at CMU, including founder roles for the Robotics Institute, the Software
Engineering Institute, and, our School of Computer Science. He also had extensive civic involvement in the Pittsburgh
community, including time on the board of St Edmunds Academy. For his research and his leadership he was made a
member of the National Academy of Engineering and a Fellow of IEEE and AAAS.

We will miss our friend Angel.

Bill