Interesting People mailing list archives

For the New Far Right, YouTube Has Become the New Talk Radio

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2017 18:45:39 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: August 3, 2017 at 6:04:28 PM EDT
To: nnsquad () nnsquad org
Subject: [ NNSquad ] For the New Far Right, YouTube Has Become the New Talk Radio

For the New Far Right, YouTube Has Become the New Talk Radio

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/03/magazine/for-the-new-far-right-youtube-has-become-the-new-talk-radio.html

     In response videos, YouTube and its owner, Google, were cast
   as an oppressive establishment forcing left-wing politics into
   users' feeds.  Black Pigeon Speaks published his own video,
   "#CreatorsForChange -- YouTube Propaganda Gets REKT -- Yet
   Again," in which he quickly segued from the platform's
   campaign to a brazen claim that "diversity always leads to
   fractured societies that always break down." The comments on
   YouTube's original video introducing the program were rapidly
   flooded with bile. "Meet the rainbow coalition of YouTubers
   who hate white people!" read one top-voted comment. "I never
   hated diversity until media began to forcefully push it down
   my throat," read another.

- - -

My personal opinion: Toss these vile racists off of YouTube entirely.
Stop permitting them to leverage our platforms to spread hate. Let
them build their own social media services (and their own Internet,
for that matter). Stuff them back into their cages where they were
before our technology gave these vile sociopaths a giant megaphone.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein (lauren () vortex com):