Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Why People Still Support Trump

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 19:56:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "John Levine" <johnl () iecc com>
Date: August 29, 2017 at 6:34:09 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Why People Still Support Trump

In article <13A50F0C-4C99-4552-90CC-9EC82B65226C () gmail com> you write:
Why People Still Support Trump
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-08-28/why-people-still-support-trump

This is a really frustrating piece.  I agree with his main point, that most Trump
supporters are normal people who are frustrated and feel ignored by mainstream
politicians.  But there's also this:

 I'm a liberal on immigration -- but it isn't racism to favor tighter
 controls if you believe that high immigration lowers American wages.
 It sure isn't racism to believe that the laws on immigration should be
 enforced, and that "sanctuary cities" violate that impeccably liberal
 principle.

In fact, there is precious little evidence that immigration lowers
American wages, and a lot of evidence that immigrants take jobs like
picking vegetables and cleaning toilets in seasonal hotels that
Americans don't want.  If you have to believe a lie to justify your
opposition to immigration, and when you consider the skin color of
most of those farm and hotel workers, claims that it's not about race
are pretty hollow.  Maybe it shows my lack of imagination but it's
hard for me to see a reason to expel "dreamers" who know no home but
the US, or for that matter people who have been obeying all the laws
other than a visa overstay, that isn't tied up with race.

There are real issues, and middle- and low-wage workers in the U.S.
have gotten a raw deal for decades.  But the way to fix the economy
is to fix the economy, not to demonize people who look different.

R's,
John