Interesting People mailing list archives

The decision granting enforcement of the search warrant to Dream Host - the good, the bad, and the ugly

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 06:20:07 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Paul Alan Levy <plevy () citizen org>
Date: August 25, 2017 at 9:39:40 PM EDT
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Subject: The decision granting enforcement of the search warrant to Dream Host - the good, the bad, and the ugly

I have written an analysis of yesterday’s ruling in the DC Superior Court granting the government’s motion to
enforce its search warrant to DreamHost.  All credit to Judge Morin for his effort to balance the First Amendment
interests of dissenting speakers against the legitimate interests of law enforcement, but I think he got it
dangerously wrong.   And since the hearing, I have been able to get a look at the “probable cause” affidavit
supporting the search warrant.  It was surprisingly thin in some respects, and misleading in other respects when you
compare the affidavit to parts of the web site that the detective was describing.

http://pubcit.typepad.com/clpblog/2017/08/court-grants-motion-to-compel-dreamhost-to-obey-warrant-but-restricts-search-process-and-use-of-data.html

Paul Alan Levy
Public Citizen Litigation Group
1600 20th Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20009
(202) 588-7725
https://www.citizen.org/our-work/litigation/internet-free-speech
Twitter:  @paulalanlevy
Public Citizen Foundation participates in the Combined Federal Campaign with the CFC Code 11168