Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Getting around paywalls ...

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 23:38:53 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Esther Dyson <edyson () edventure com>
Date: Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 11:18 AM
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Getting around paywalls ...
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () listbox com>

You could also consider Pressreader.com <http://pressreader.com> - monthly
subscription fee.  (Disclosure: I am an investor.)

Esther

Begin forwarded message:

*From:* Dan Tappan <dan.tappan () gmail com>
*Date:* April 25, 2017 at 8:06:11 AM EDT
*To:* dave () farber net, ip <ip () listbox com>

I've been calling for a micro-payments system for reading newspaper
articles for a long time. I'm all for supporting journalism, and I have
digital subscriptions to a number of publications, but asking people to pay
on the order of $200 a year to 1/2 dozen different publications is just not
reasonable. Absolute $$$ aside, by the time you get to that many
subscriptions you're just reading the occasional article from each so the
$$/article is way out of whack.

So I was excited to see the previous message about Blendle.com
<http://blendle.com/>, and now this one about Inkle.com <http://inkle.com/>.
I jumped on getting a beta account on Blendle and immediately discovered a
fatal flaw: what these sites seem to be trying to provide is a digital
aggregate magazine, a web site you can log into to find a curated set of
articles from a variety of sources.

That's cool, but it's not the way I (nor, I suspect, most) read newspaper
articles these days. Instead we find articles that look interesting through
posts on Facebook, Twitter, Feedly, click through, and hit a paywall (and
it doesn't help that when you're linking to articles though apps on an
iPhone cookies are not shared across apps - so even if you have a paid
subscription odds are that you'll have to log in again to read the article)

So the illicit way to read an article behind a paywall takes about two
steps: copy the link, open an incognito window and go to the link.

Reading the article through Blendle seems to take more steps than that:
find something that identifies the article, open a link to Blendle, search
through the publishers for the publication you want and then search
articles until you find the one you are looking for.

The only way that these are going succeed is if they can make reading an
article as easy as clicking on a link and immediately going to the article,
with an accompanying debit from your micro-payments account. Maybe this
could be done with a plugin that automatically intercepts links to
publications and turns them into links to the same article on (e.g.)Blendle.
More likely it needs some cooperation from the publisher so they can
recognize when someone has an account on a micropayments system.

But my point is that unless using these systems is _easier_ than cheating
people will end up cheating even if they would rather pay. Or they just
won't bother to read the articles which has the same effect as far as the
publisher is concerned.

A second order issue is that the prices on Blendle seem somewhat high, up
to $0.50 to read an article. Micropayment systems probably will be most
successful when the individual costs feel trivial, or when the costs are
hidden in a monthly subscription fee. Excessive a-la-carte prices are
likely to discourage use, and be self defeating.