Interesting People mailing list archives

Boston March for Science

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 18:13:21 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: dpreed () reed com
Date: April 22, 2017 at 5:22:26 PM EDT
To: bighook-issues () isen com
Subject: [bighook-issues] Boston March for Science

So, if the speakers were supposed to be left wing anti Trump torchers and pitchforkers, they must have got lost and
gone somewhere else than Boston Common.

I think the only reference to Trump by a speaker was a mention that between the main rally and the Kids March for
Science, there were likely more attendees than the Inauguration had.

The kids march program was fantastic... Focus on what science is, demos, ...

But the main event was focused on science, diversity, the essential international nature of science research,
inclusion, the impacts of biological research, ... All but 3 of the speakers were not white males. Discussions
focused on how to make science even better, focusing on it's promise and it's problems. Inspiring talks that were
addressing the importance of standing up for science, and how anti science propaganda is growing on all sides.
Merchants of doubt, as we continue to see in tobacco, climate denial, antivax. The story of Trofim Lysenko was cited
as a parallel, careful to point out that we don't have Stalin, but we do have forces who want to shape science to
maintain power.

I know scientists were afraid of their younger and more passionate peers raising hell. They didn't.

Of course, you will see all kinds of commentators and politicians twisting and spinning, because their investment in
destroying science's credibility is enormous. But that ship sailed a long thin ago, when Peter Huber coined the term
"junk science" in service of his right wing agenda.