Interesting People mailing list archives

Re d: 5, 300 Wells Fargo employees fired over 2 million phony accounts

From: "David Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 13:24:51 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Peter Swire <peter () peterswire net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re d: 5, 300 Wells Fargo employees fired over 2 million phony accounts
Date: September 13, 2016 at 1:17:12 PM EDT
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>

Hi Dave:

I share the outrage about outrageous financial practices on Wall Street.  They happened at grotesque scale in the
mortgage market, especially near the end of the bubble in 2006-2008.

I respect Dan Gillmor and often agree with him.  I don’t agree the lack of criminal convictions should be seen as
“Obama’s legacy.”

As a lawyer who spent some time in a prosecutor’s office long ago, it is SUPER hard to get convictions beyond a
reasonable doubt in many financial cases. Here is a NY Times story about the first Wall Street prosecution, in 2009.
Two Bear, Stearns executives were prosecuted for lying to investors. They did lie —  the Bear, Stearns frauds were
especially egregious, as documented in the 2010 book “House of Cards.”

What happened?  The jury acquitted. “There was a reasonable doubt on every charge. We just didn’t feel that the case
had been proven,” said Ryan Goolsby, one of the jurors.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/11/business/11bear.html <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/11/business/11bear.html?_r=0>

Prosecutors can win if there is outright theft, or a clear insider trading case.  Based on discussions I have had with
prosecutors, the broad fraud claims are very, very hard to prove.

Peter

Prof. Peter Swire
Huang Professor of Law and Ethics
Scheller College of Business