Interesting People mailing list archives

Re ITU circumventing Budapest Convention?

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 21:16:47 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Thomas Leavitt <thomas () thomasleavitt org>
Date: Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 3:23 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] ITU circumventing Budapest Convention?
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

Dave,

If you didn't catch this, the "model legislation" in question has
apparently been implemented as law in multiple jurisdictions.

"...identical or nearly identical language over extended parts of the bill
was found in the laws of several other countries in the Caribbean and in
sub-Saharan Africa, all of whom participated in the ITU-driven campaign to
implement these laws. The table of contents of the bill is nearly
word-for-word identical with the list in an ITU-sponsored presentation made
to the government of Zimbabwe for a proposed cybercrime law there."

Given the extent of the scathing critique in the Council of Europe report,
this is rather appalling. What in the world is the ITU doing promoting
"Cybercrime" laws that violate just about every established norm and
process for civil rights and liberties? What process was used to develop
this "model legislation"? The ITU is promoting criminalization of
blasphemy, "defamation of religion" and insults (among other things)? What?

Regards,
Thomas Leavitt