Interesting People mailing list archives

re Russian propaganda effort helped spread ‘fake news’ during election, experts say - The Washington Post

From: "dfarber" <dfarber () me com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 09:16:41 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Michael Robertson <mr () michaelrobertson com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Russian propaganda effort helped spread ‘fake news’ during election, experts say - The Washington
Post
Date: November 25, 2016 at 8:55:36 AM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () listbox com>

The two examples they cite of fake news were actually not fake.

1) Hillary's health
Due to citizen reporting we know that Hillary did have health issues. After public scrutiny, her campaign revised her
condition first blaming allergies and layer pneumonia.

2) Paid anti Trump protesters
We know from project veritas' undercover videos that operatives for the DNC paid mentally unstable people to disrupt
Trump rallies and also people in Donald duck costumes.
https://youtu.be/5IuJGHuIkzY <https://youtu.be/5IuJGHuIkzY>
https://youtu.be/EEQvsK5w-jY <https://youtu.be/EEQvsK5w-jY>
Parties in the videos either resigned or were fired after the videos were made public.

It's entirely possible the Russians placed fake stories online to try and influence the election. However this
article does not stand up to scrutiny.  For the two instances references there's publicly available evidence that
it's not fake.