Interesting People mailing list archives

Programmers are having a huge discussion about the unethical and illegal things they've been asked to do

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 07:33:44 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: November 21, 2016 at 12:49:01 AM EST
To: nnsquad () nnsquad org
Subject: [ NNSquad ] Programmers are having a huge discussion about the unethical and illegal things they've been
asked to do

Programmers are having a huge discussion about the unethical and illegal things they've been asked to do

http://www.businessinsider.com/programmers-confess-unethical-illegal-tasks-asked-of-them-2016-11

     "We are killing people," Martin says. "We did not get into
   this business to kill people. And this is only getting worse."
   He pointed out that "there are hints" that developers will
   increasingly face some real heat in the years to come. He
   cited Volkswagen America's CEO, Michael Horn, who at first
   blamed software engineers for the company's emissions cheating
   scandal during a Congressional hearing, claimed the coders had
   acted on their own "for whatever reason." Horn later resigned
   after US prosecutors accused the company of making this
   decision at the highest levels and then trying to cover it up.
   But Martin pointed out, "The weird thing is, it was software
   developers who wrote that code. It was us. Some programmers
   wrote cheating code.  Do you think they knew? I think they
   probably knew."

- - -

--Lauren--