Interesting People mailing list archives

Coming to terms – and action?

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 14:53:13 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Evers Ridgely C." <rce () evers org>
Date: November 19, 2016 at 2:12:51 PM EST
To: Farber David <dave () farber net>
Subject: Coming to terms – and action?

Dave,

For IP, if you wish (though I know it's a bit off-topic).

There are any number of articles attempting to explain the recent election, but there are two I've found to be worthy
reads for people who (like me) are perplexed and disturbed by the results.

The first is David Remnick's good piece in the most recent New Yorker, "Obama Reckons with a Trump Presidency."
Remnick cites Richard Rorty’s 1998 book, “Achieving Our Country."

<snip>
Rorty, a left-leaning philosopher, who died in 2007, predicted that the neglected working class would not tolerate
its marginalization for long. "Something will crack," he wrote:  "The nonsuburban electorate will decide that the
system has failed and start looking around for a strongman to vote for—someone willing to assure them that, once he
is elected, the smug bureaucrats, tricky lawyers, overpaid bond salesmen, and postmodernist professors will no longer
be calling the shots. . . . One thing that is very likely to happen is that the gains made in the past forty years by
black and brown Americans, and by homosexuals, will be wiped out. Jocular contempt for women will come back into
fashion. . . . All the resentment which badly educated Americans feel about having their manners dictated to them by
college graduates will find an outlet."
</snip>

The other is from the Harvard Business Review, "What So Many People Don't Get About the U.S. Working Class."

Fifty years ago, many (including me) protested actively and vigorously in favor of civil rights and against the
Vietnam war.  It will be interesting to see how many people do so now, when the stakes are much higher.

Best,

–Ridge