Interesting People mailing list archives

Wired interviewed with Clapper

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 16:12:55 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dave Maass <dm () eff org>
Date: November 17, 2016 at 2:52:34 PM EST
To: "nsa-spying () mail eff org" <nsa-spying () mail eff org>
Subject: [Nsa-spying] Wired interviewed with Clapper

https://www.wired.com/2016/11/james-clapper-us-intelligence/

Highlight:
Clapper believes that in the wake of the September 11 attacks, the public and Congress would have given the nation’s
spies almost anything they requested. “We could’ve gotten legislation to drive a truck through,” Clapper says. “I’m
convinced that if we’d explained the program and the need, Prism would have been no more controversial than the FBI
storing millions of fingerprints.”

In fact, he says, while the legislative changes after Snowden’s revelations made the process slower for the NSA, it
greatly boosted the total amount of data the agency could legally access. “Instead of the NSA storing the data, we go
to the companies and ask them for it,” he says. “It actually gave us broader access across a broader range of
providers than the original programs. If people think their civil liberties and privacy are going to be better
protected by the providers, OK.”

--
Dave Maass
Investigative Researcher