Interesting People mailing list archives

The latest attack on Internet anonymity=>Forget cookies, your browser has fingerprints

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 16:55:32 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Steve Goldstein <steve.goldstein () cox net>
Date: May 20, 2010 4:18:01 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] The latest attack on Internet anonymity=>Forget cookies, your browser has fingerprints

Macworld review article:

http://www.macworld.com/article/151328/2010/05/web_tracking.html

EFF: Forget cookies, your browser has fingerprints
by Robert McMillan, IDG News Service

Even without cookies, popular browsers such as Internet Explorer and Firefox give Web sites enough information to get a unique picture of their visitors about 94 percent of the time, according to researchcompiled over the past few months by the Electronic Frontier Foundation.PEOPLE WHO READ THIS ALSO READ:

The research puts a quantitative assessment on something that security gurus have known about for years, said Peter Eckersley, the EFF senior staff technologist who did the research. He found that configuration information—data on the type of browser, operating sys tem, plugins, and even fonts installed can be compiled by Web sites to create a unique portrait of most visitors.

This means that most Internet users are a lot less anonymous than they believe, Eckersley said. “Even if you turn off cookies and you use a proxy to hide your IP address, you could still be tracked,” he said.

The data doesn’t actually identify the Web user, but it creates a un ique browser “fingerprint,” that can be used to identify the user when he visits other Web sites.

Using JavaScript, Web sites are able to probe PCs and learn a lot. No single piece of data is enough to identify the visitor on its own, but when it’s all strung together — browser version, language, operating system, time zone details—a clearer picture emer ges. Some things—what combination of plugins and fonts are installed , for example—can be a dead giveaway.

And using the private mode offered by some browser-makers does nothing to stop this analysis. “They provide you with some protectio n against other people who may be in your house or who have access t o your computer, but they haven’t got to the point where they’ve provided protection against the companies that are profiling Web use rs,” Eckersley said.

In fact, there are already a handful of companies have already started offering this kind of cookie-less Web tracking to help e- commerce sites identify fraudsters. Companies such as 41st Parameter, ThreatMetrix, and Iovation are widely used in the banking, e-commerce and social Web sites.

And the products work. Last August, when Serbian criminals started testing stolen credit cards by posting hundreds of $1.99 transactions to the iReel.com online movie site each day, iReel turned to ThreatMetrix to get a fix on the fraudsters.

. . .
                                         8< ...snip ... >8

The EFF site:
http://panopticlick.eff.org/

A research project of the Electronic Frontier Foundation
Panopticlick — How Unique, and Trackable, Is Your Browser?

Is your browser configuration rare or unique? If so, web sites may be able to track you, even if you limit or disable cookies.

Panopticlick tests your browser to see how unique it is based on the information it will share with sites it visits. Click below and you will be given a uniqueness score, letting you see how easily identifiable you might be as you surf the web.

Only anonymous data will be collected by this site.

Click here to test how trackable your browser is.
The statistical results of this experiment have now been published.

My results:

Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 978,452 tested so far.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys at least 19.9 bits of identifying information.

The measurements we used to obtain this result are listed below. You can read more about our methodology, statistical results, and some defenses against fingerprinting in this article.

Abstract of the published article:

How Unique Is Your Web Browser?

Peter Eckersley?
Electronic Frontier Foundation,
pde () eff org

Abstract. We investigate the degree to which modern web browsers
are subject to \device ngerprinting" via the version and congura-
tion information that they will transmit to websites upon request. We
implemented one possible ngerprinting algorithm, and collected these
fingerprints from a large sample of browsers that visited our test side,
panopticlick.eff.org. We observe that the distribution of our nger-
print contains at least 18.1 bits of entropy, meaning that if we pick a
browser at random, at best we expect that only one in 286,777 other
browsers will share its ngerprint. Among browsers that support Flash
or Java, the situation is worse, with the average browser carrying at least 18.8 bits of identifying information. 94.2% of browsers with Flash or Java
were unique in our sample.

By observing returning visitors, we estimate how rapidly browser nger-
prints might change over time. In our sample, ngerprints changed quite
rapidly, but even a simple heuristic was usually able to guess when a
fingerprint was an \upgraded" version of a previously observed browser's fingerprint, with 99.1% of guesses correct and a false positive rate of only
0.86%.

We discuss what privacy threat browser ngerprinting poses in practice,
and what countermeasures may be appropriate to prevent it. There is a
tradeo between protection against ngerprintability and certain kinds of debuggability, which in current browsers is weighted heavily against pri- vacy. Paradoxically, anti-fingerprinting privacy technologies can be self- defeating if they are not used by a sufficient number of people; we show
that some privacy measures currently fall victim to this paradox, but
others do not.