Interesting People mailing list archives

Collective intelligence re Texas Board of Education

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 16:16:55 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: May 17, 2010 4:14:58 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] re  Texas Board of Education

Dave - I had read the Feynman story a few years ago.  But in reading it again, I found this "gem" that I had totally
forgotten.

"This question of trying to figure out whether a book is good or bad by looking at it carefully or by taking the
reports of a lot of people who looked at it carelessly is like this famous old problem: Nobody was permitted to see
the Emperor of China, and the question was, What is the length of the Emperor of China's nose? To find out, you go
all over the country asking people what they think the length of the Emperor of China's nose is, and you average it.
And that would be very "accurate" because you averaged so many people. But it's no way to find anything out; when you
have a very wide range of people who contribute without looking carefully at it, you don't improve your knowledge of
the situation by averaging."

Besides being apt with respect to choosing textbooks, this quote ought to be required commentary on the new
pseudo-science fad being peddled by best-selling science writers, etc. called "Collective Intelligence".   Malcolm
Gladwell, and many others who are currently "hot" in the literature make the same claim: if you ask a lot of people
and take some statistic like the Mean or the Mode or the Median, you will get the *correct answer* to *any problem*.
[I should point out that at my home institution, MIT, there are those who are riding this meme, though I *hope* that
they are a bit more intellectually honest. If not, shame on them.]

But there is a meta-point.  You don't decide scientific or engineering truth by voting or averaging.  You decide it
by testing your hypothesis, using methods well-known.  Not by "peer review" - I cannot see how anyone who has any
sense thinks that "peer review" generates truth; when I was a kid, J.B.Rhine's work *proving* ESP was "peer
reviewed".  Astrologers peer-review themselves.

Yet the sloppy thinking promoted by the textbook publishers and the education committees probably got us to the point
where Collective Intelligence seems like it MUST be true.  Because it's "hot" and it's the "latest thing", I guess.