Interesting People mailing list archives

WORTH READING 'Secret' telecom anti-Net neutrality plan isn't | Politics and Law - CNET News

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 10:22:46 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: May 17, 2010 1:06:51 AM EDT
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] 'Secret' telecom anti-Net neutrality plan isn't | Politics and Law - CNET News

David Reed <dpreed () reed com> wrote:
To follow up on how you  were punk'd by Declan McCullagh
(who I used to think of as a bit more ethical than most Fox News
journalists, now I think of as less ethical), read the update
at the end of the post, commenting on Declan's claims.

Dare I suggest that David Reed's initial instincts were correct? :)

Let's recap. The Think Progress/Center for American Progress blogger claimed there was a "Telecoms’ Secret Plan To
Attack Net Neutrality."

This was false. It was completely inaccurate.

First, there was no "secret plan." Contrary to the Think Progress/CAP claim, there was a PowerPoint document that was
posted on the web as a class project for a "Think Tank MBA" program run by the Atlas Foundation (that came in third in
the class competition). In my article, I described Atlas, correctly, as a "free market" group that funds other
like-minded folks:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20004758-38.html

Second, there was no telecom involvement. Nada. Zilch.

Even though the entire premise of the Think Progress/CAP blog was false, instead of admitting their error, they're
trying to change the subject. I guess that's one way of responding, but IPers can make up their own mind about whether
it's the most honest one.

-Declan

PS: I broke the story of a *true* astroturf grassroots effort against Net neutrality involving a shadowy DC group
called the LawMedia Group -- unlike Think Progress/CAP, I can tell the difference:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10016960-38.html