Interesting People mailing list archives

how sausage is made

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 12:35:55 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Turner <jameshturnerjr () gmail com>
Date: May 16, 2010 12:19:02 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] A Note from Dr. Mary L. Good on the Future of the America COMPETES Act... Please Get Involved Now

Dave,

     The House Democratic Leadership has not announced what comes next on the COMPETES reauthorization, but further
consideration of HR 5115 subject to a rule being granted is listed as a possibility on the House of Representatives
floor schedule for this coming week.  I would guess if further consideration of COMPETES happens this coming week, it
will be Wednesday or Thursday.

     Under last week's rule for consideration of COMPETES, 54 amendments were made in order and I think 52 passed.
The Rule also allowed for a motion to recommit by someone who is "opposed to the bill in its current form".  For the
past three and a half years, as the Minority party, the Republicans have made the motion to recommit something
embarrassing or that splits the Democrats.  In bills like this one, it generally has dealt with coal, and is written
in a way that it is a tough vote for someone in a coal producing state.  The last short while, these motions have
escalated and even bills like COMPETES that were bipartisan last Congress are fair game today.  A motion to recommit
if it passes, is the House sending the bill back to committee and telling it to rewrite the bill in a specific way.

     The motion to recommit had all of the cuts in it that are described by Mary Good.  It also had a provision that
required agencies funded under the bill to fire employees who are found guilty of watching pornography and barring
funds to campuses that do not allow military recruiters on them.  There had been no discussion either of pornography
or military recruitment in Committee or on the House floor, so
Democratic members and probably rank and file Republicans outside of their leadership probably had no inkling about
what was coming.  The Republicans do not share motions to recommit in advance, so Members had to make an instant
decision on what they are going to do.  They had to vote ten minutes after the motion was revealed.  Members had the
choice of either voting "for pornography and against the military" or voting for increased funding and new programs
in the bill.     Members chose to stampede away from the text they had been perfecting for two days  with half of the
House Democrats and over half of the Democrats on the Committee voting for the motion.   Vern Ehlers is the only
Republican who was willing to vote against the motion.  Chairman Gordon had scheduled a press conference right after
anticipated passage so I don't think he saw it coming.  The vote does not represent the true sentiment of the House
had the pornography and recruiting amendments not been there.  Substantially the same bill had passed in the Science
Committee by a margin of almost three to one just two weeks earlier.

     The Republicans were not the only ones who placed limits on research programs for political purposes.  The day
before, on close to a party line vote, the Democrats had supported a successful amendment that would force agencies
to hold up grant money to public universities who did not give unions all the information they wanted when they
wanted it, in response to a UAW effort to organize post-docs in California.

     After the motion passed, the Leadership pulled the bill by postponing the vote on final passage.  This is
appropriate because the House through the motion to recommit had asked the Science Committee to work further on it.
I can see two possibilities when floor consideration resumes.  The Committee can send the Republican version back to
the floor, hold the vote on final passage, and defeat the bill.  This would show that the Members'  intent was not to
freeze these programs, but rather to be tough on pornography.  Then a new rule could bring a new bill forward,
perhaps the text of the bill before the motion to recommit with the pornography and military recruiter provisions
included.  The new rule would greatly limit debate and perhaps would even be a self-executing rule where if the rule
passes, the underlying bill passes as well.

    Alternatively, the Science Committee could send back a version of the bill that does not reflect the wishes of
the Congress as expressed in the motion to recommit. and the Rules Committee could issue z new rule that revises the
rules for further consideration of HR 5115.     I expect this second option would lead to the Republicans closing
down the floor for the rest of the week and perhaps longer with procedural motions, but I don't expect either option
to be pretty procedurally.  The Democrats have to be assertive or else they are going to face similar situations when
any other major bill comes up.  The Republicans are going to be outraged if and when their victory is snatched from
them.

     In his last statement during the debate, Mr. Gordon said that over 1000 organizations had expressed their
support for the bill.  I think it is important that there is as strong a showing of disappointment.   If such a vote
is followed with silence, then the path of least resistance becomes to let the clock run out on the legislation.
Enactment of this bill was not a certainty even before last week's actions, and it becomes much harder now that
things have turned so partisan.  Time already is short for getting the bill done so an even bigger push is necessary
to get it across the finish line.

Jim Turner