Interesting People mailing list archives

Lieberman to Propose Citizenship-Stripping Law

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 11:05:03 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: May 6, 2010 11:02:42 AM EDT
Cc: Farber Dave <dave () farber net>
Subject: Lieberman to Propose Citizenship-Stripping Law

Lieberman to Propose Citizenship-Stripping Law

Published 1, May 5, 2010

http://jonathanturley.org/2010/05/05/lieberman-to-propose-citizenship-stripping-law/

Greg Sargent at the Washington Post is reporting that Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) will be proposing a new law that
could potentially strip Americans of their citizenship if they’re involved with foreign terrorist organizations. The
limited details revealed today are enough to send a chill down the spine of civil libertarians around the country. I
will be discussing this issue tonight on Rachel Maddow’s show.

The law reportedly would allow the State Department to treat citizenship like an administrative matter — deciding
whether you have associated with terrorist organizations. Agency procedures are widely condemned for their lack of
due process protections and the heavy deference given to agency decision-making. We have seen abuses of this system
in the designation of organizations under a similar process.

To his credit, Schumer has come out against Lieberman’s proposal, again as reported by Sargant. He reports that
Schumer initially indicated that he might support the law. However, Schumer’s staff insists that he was approached
briefly in the hall on the subject but that he could not support such a proposal.

While the burden would be on the State Department and you would have access to court review, the agency process could
make it difficult to contest such findings — particularly with the use of secret evidence (and barring the use of
evidence by the defendant on national security grounds).

Stripping citizens of their citizenship could also create stateless persons — a problem in international law.
Moreover, this process could occur at the same time that a person is fighting criminal charges — adding to the
practical and financial burden.

Lieberman will reportedly hold a presser on Thursday.

(more @ http://voices.washingtonpost.com/plum-line/2010/05/how_liebermans_citizen-strippi.html?wprss=plum-line)

...and even Chuck Shumer is against it:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/plum-line/2010/05/schumer_comes_out_against_lieb.html