Interesting People mailing list archives

re Ariz. college using RFID for class attendance

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 22:16:49 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gerry Faulhaber <gerry-faulhaber () mchsi com>
Date: May 4, 2010 10:11:17 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] re Ariz. college using RFID for class attendance

Dave [for IP]--

In ALL my classes at Wharton, participation in class discussion was an integral part of learning, for which outside
reading is not a substitute.  If a student didn't attend, an important part of learning, the interaction with the
professor and other students, was foregone.  As a consequence, I had a rule that if a student missed too many
classes, they flunked.  I therefore took attendance.  Usually, taking attendance uses up a lot of class time, but I
was fortunate to have TAs who took it for me.  There are ways to use technology to automate attendance-taking, but
none of them are perfect.  Counting noses is the only way that really works.

Now I actually didn't care if a student attended class.  The undergrads were there on their parents' nickel, and many
were at University only for the sex, drugs and rock and roll.  If a student wanted to waste an opportunity to learn
that would never in their lifetimes be repeated, that's their business.  But don't expect to graduate.  If a student
chose to cut my class repeatedly, he/she would flunk the course.  Everyone knew the rules; if they didn't want to
live within those rules they didn't have to take my courses.

And you know what?  Lots of students took my classes, I had good teacher ratings, students actually seemed to learn
stuff, and after the first 2 weeks of the course there was little whining about attendance.  My experience of 25
years University teaching is that taking attendance increases attendance, increases both the breadth and depth of
class discussion, and increases student learning.  Which, I would remind everyone, is why students are in University,
n'est ce pas?

Professor Emeritus Gerald Faulhaber
Business and Public Policy Dept.
Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Professor Emeritus, Penn Law