Interesting People mailing list archives

Fairfax County, VA -- beginning, a computer and broadband Internet for every student

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 09:37:06 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gene Gaines <gene.gaines () gainesgroup com>
Date: March 12, 2010 9:21:30 AM EST
To: Internet Society US Chapters discuss list <isoc-us () isoc-ny org>, dave <dave () farber net>
Cc: Joly MacFie <joly () punkcast com>
Subject: Fairfax County, VA -- beginning, a computer and broadband Internet for every student

Farfax County, Virginia is quietly beginning a program to equip every school child with a computer and a broadband Internet connection at home.

Fairfax County is rich, has a high penetration of Internet access at homes, but there is still a significant population of low-income families without computers at home.

We hope to provide every one of the students in low-income homes with a reasonable computer and broadband Internet.

Important point here. Universal home Internet access for K12 students will benefit for more than just the low-income students. Will have a significant impact on ALL students and teachers. With universal Internet access at home, teachers begin a transition to managing class learning rather than spending class time giving lectures, being able to teach through hotlinks, give homework assignments through such apps as Blackboard, begin the transition to individualized learning.

The difference between teaching a K12 class where a few students have Internet at home, and ALL students have that resource is profound.

Arne Duncan's Race to the Top?  This is the path to get there!

The first pilot set of computers is scheduled to be given out in early May, refurbished Pentiums or better with XP, and free cable Internet in their homes. We are working to set up tech support, computer repair, documentation, introductory training for parents and students. The parents will be encouraged to make use of the computers as well as the kids, and we are learning from other groups that provide free or low-cost computers in their communities.

If you are interested in keeping up with the project, drop me your email address and the project will keep you informed from time to time.

Gene Gaines
Sterling, Virginia