Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: A clarification on -- Time to try a Nexus or other non Apple phone -- recs welcome djf

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 21:51:49 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Geoff Kuenning <geoff () cs hmc edu>
Date: March 10, 2010 3:56:41 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] A clarification on -- Time to try a Nexus or other non Apple phone -- recs welcome djf

My annoyance with Apple iphone ownership is not the development
contract but the censorship and control mania of Apple

Yesterday I went to a talk by a group who is developing an iPhone
application on behalf of a private company.  This company has long made
a product that serves the needs of the business world.  Now they'd like
to give iPhone users access to their software so that they do similar
things while on the go.

On any other platform, they'd develop the software, ship it to their
customers, and be done with it.  On the iPhone, their only practical
choice is to make it available via the App Store.  To do that, they have
to follow the iPhone GUI guidelines even when they conflict with the
design of their existing product.  Once the new software is done, they
have to submit it to Apple for approval, incurring further delays and
risking the possibility that Apple will unilaterally decide to reject it
and send them back into the development cycle.

I frankly don't understand why anybody would voluntarily dive into this
can of worms.  Of course, my many iPhone-toting friends don't understand
my objections--all they see is the shiny applications they CAN have, not
the ones Apple is "protecting" them from.
--
   Geoff Kuenning   geoff () cs hmc edu   http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing
that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot
possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to
get at or repair.
               -- Douglas Adams