Interesting People mailing list archives

Apple and the future of news

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 16:32:44 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan Gillmor <dan () gillmor com>
Date: March 10, 2010 4:08:08 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Apple and the future of news

Also re iPhone and Apple's control-freakery, I have strong concerns about news organizations that may be planning to put so many eggs in this basket:

http://mediactive.com/2010/02/24/why-journalism-organizations-should-reconsider-their-crush-on-apples-ipad/

Key quote:

Ultimately, I believe, the most important issue is whether news organizations should get in bed with a company that makes unilateral and non-transparent decisions like the ones Apple has been making about content in all kinds of ways. I say they should think hard about it, and answer either in the negative or insist on iron-clad contracts with Apple that prohibit the hardware company from any kind of interference with the journalism, ever.