Interesting People mailing list archives

[Time to try a Nexus or other non Apple phone -- recs welcome djf ] All Your Apps Are Belong to Apple: The iPhone Developer Program License Agreement

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 14:44:31 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: March 10, 2010 8:21:13 AM EST
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] All Your Apps Are Belong to Apple: The iPhone Developer Program License Agreement

[Note:  This item comes from reader Monty Solomon.  DLH]

From: Monty Solomon <monty () roscom com>
Date: March 9, 2010 9:28:31 PM PST

March 9th, 2010

UPDATED: All Your Apps Are Belong to Apple: The iPhone Developer
Program License Agreement

Legal Analysis by Fred von Lohmann

The entire family of devices built on the iPhone OS (iPhone, iPod
Touch, iPad) have been designed to run only software that is approved
by Apple-a major shift from the norms of the personal computer
market. Software developers who want Apple's approval must first
agree to the iPhone Developer Program License Agreement.

So today we're posting the "iPhone Developer Program License
Agreement"-the contract that every developer who writes software for
the iTunes App Store must "sign." Though more than 100,000 app
developers have clicked "I agree," public copies of the agreement are
scarce, perhaps thanks to the prohibition on making any "public
statements regarding this Agreement, its terms and conditions, or the
relationship of the parties without Apple's express prior written
approval." But when we saw the NASA App for iPhone, we used the
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) to ask NASA for a copy, so that the
general public could see what rules controlled the technology they
could use with their phones. NASA responded with the Rev. 3-17-09
version of the agreement.

UPDATED: we are now also posting the most recent version of the
agreement, dated January 2010.

This "license agreement" is particularly relevant right now, given
the imminent launch of the iPad and anytime-now issuance of the U.S.
Copyright Office's ruling regarding jailbreaking of the iPhone.

So what's in the Agreement? Here are a few troubling highlights:

..

<http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/03/iphone-developer-program-license-agreement-all>
RSS Feed: <http://www.warpspeed.com/wordpress>