Interesting People mailing list archives

re: How not to put computers in control -- Toyota as runaway machines

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 12:08:10 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan Gillmor <dan () gillmor com>
Date: March 10, 2010 11:18:49 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] How not to put computers in control -- Toyota as runaway machines

The writer below pointed to yesterday's CNN piece, which the news channel ran incessantly during the day. He was right to note that the problem is poor risk procedures, but that's not the message the public got from the CNN report. The channel had video it could use, and it used the video the way TV news loves fires and car chases. This was putrid journalism, and more of the same from an industry that absolutely refuses to give the public any information about relative risk.

Just once, I'd like to see a journalism organization take a few minutes to do a calculation on how likely anyone of us may be -- assuming the extremely unlikely worst case with available data -- to be in an accident caused by machine-caused sudden acceleration on any given car trip. You'd imagine, based on the coverage, that you're seriously risking your life every time you go to the store when the real odds of something going wrong are, what, one in 50 million or so?

Again, I don't doubt that there are problems with computer controls in vehicles (not just Toyota), and that Toyota has handled this situation poorly at best. The sooner we have kill switches for all vehicles that operate with any amount of drive-by-wire systems, the better. I fear that will occur long before we have responsible journalism.

Dan

The absence of a clearly labeled, directly acting with no intermediate
computer control, fail-safe, zero delay, emergency power off (EPO)
switch, which is mandatory for machines that can cause an injury if not
halted immediately, is becoming obvious:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/03/08/california.runaway.prius/index.html?hpt=T2

Toyota's problem is not the computerization of cars -- the problem is not following well-established risk procedures when putting computers in
control.