Interesting People mailing list archives

re. Fun issue. Most Of Us Have Black Box Recorders in our Cars

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 15:32:24 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Andrew C Burnette <acb () acb net>
Date: March 7, 2010 2:53:28 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: jpowers () data-rights com
Subject: Re: [IP] Most Of Us Have Black Box Recorders in our Cars

Dave,

For IP if you wish.

US DOT is adding yet more wrinkles to this equation with the VII program, which basically (there are a few decent psuedonymity protections built in; the same system will allow car manufacturers to also sell value add services such as traffic info, telematics data and so on) communicates with roadside equipment and a larger network for a variety of purposes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_infrastructure_integration

Another issue that few people are aware of. Should you be involved in a collision in your car, the data in the black box has generally been regarded as your private info. Should you "sell" your car to the insurance company via a total loss settlement, that data can be used for better or worse to determine speed, aggressive driving and other factors which the owner/driver may not wish to divulge.

Best regards,
Andy Burnette