Interesting People mailing list archives

Microsoft exec pitches Internet usage tax to pay for cybersecurity programs - The Hill's Hillicon Valley

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 09:42:42 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: March 4, 2010 9:08:36 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Microsoft exec pitches Internet usage tax to pay for cybersecurity programs - The Hill's Hillicon Valley

Cyberpolicing: Protecting its citizens and businesses from two classes of threats - small-scale criminal activity/organized crime and offensive cyberwar carried out by state-scale entities with state-scale goals - is a function of government. So it must be paid for. I think that's obvious.

I am afraid that the conceptual framework most "security" folks in the CS community live in is the fantasy around the idea that if you can "prove software correct" there will be no threats that are carried out against the public and private interests.

This is like claiming that the right of a citizen to bear a Winchester carbine rifle or a concealed pistol is the only solution needed to deal with, say, a repeat of the Germany of the 1930's.

We need to think about this far more carefully than the usual knee- jerk reactions we hear in the blogosphere.

But it's not just a *military* thing. Most nations are incented to keep the peace. That's why we formed the United Nations, imperfect as it is, and it's why we cooperate as nations, and for that matter as corporations, to keep conflicts from escalating to the kind of scale that full-blown offensive cyberwar techniques make possible. Defense is not just a matter of deterrence or barriers.

And yes, this may involve a *tax*. After creating so much value, the open Internet can afford to pay some of its costs to support policing and threat management.

I do worry that the American public has been so stirred up by the anti-taxers, the anti-thinkers, ... that they make themselves sitting ducks for criminal action and offensive war carried out inside their fibers, routers, laptops, and servers.

This is not just a problem of irresponsible behavior by vendors in not thinking about system vulnerabilities. It is equally a problem of spending ALL of the effort on trivial issues like buffer overflows and the coolness-factor-hacks that Defcon hackers do.

But I'm afraid a toxic mix of paranoid thought processes will turn policing and defense into nothing more than funding a bunch of what corresponds to the cyber equivalent of Soldier of Fortune magazine readers.