Interesting People mailing list archives

re policy based email delivery accept/decline?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 17:48:31 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: March 28, 2010 5:15:39 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: policy based email delivery accept/decline?

Oh that's just great -- that's all we need -- legal battles over
sender vs. recipient rights in routine e-mail.

First off, mailing list admins really have no way to know how many
people on their lists actually use Gmail or any other mail system,
since forwarding addresses could be pointing invisibly at other
addresses unbeknownst to the list.

But anyway, the message below suggests a misunderstanding of Gmail
privacy policies.  If there is sensitive material going out on a
mailing list, I'd be much more concerned about *human* recipients of
the list "leaking" items to "unapproved" parties, rather than losing
sleep over the keyword ad-scanning algorithms of Gmail (and the same
for the vast numbers of spam and virus scanning systems that inspect
every piece of inbound mail pretty much everywhere these days).  Gmail
really doesn't care what you write about, other than from the
standpoint of whether or not it can choose what it believes to be
relevant ads for the recipient of the e-mail who has chosen to use
Gmail.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
  - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, NNSquad
  - Network Neutrality Squad - http://www.nnsquad.org
Founder, GCTIP - Global Coalition
  for Transparent Internet Performance - http://www.gctip.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com

 - - -