Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Surveillance via bogus SSL certificates

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 12:10:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Ed Gerck, Ph.D." <egerck () nma com>
Date: March 25, 2010 11:24:33 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>, Ip Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:  Surveillance via bogus SSL certificates

Matt and IP'ers,

Please accept these comments in academic interest. I do not know the
authors and have no intent to discourage them -- to the contrary. You
have my authorization to forward my comments to them if you so wish.

I reverified the paragraph. The paper says: "a new attack, the compelled certificate creation attack" and then says: "As far as we are aware, we
are the first to formally introduce and analyze this attack in the
academic literature."

Well, the "compelled certificate creation attack" is not new and that
was my comment.

And not even the old but good solution (used since Netscape times) of
self-signing CA-issued certs is mentioned in the paper, whereas the
paper presents a solution that it admits does not  work.

Best regards,
Ed Gerck