Interesting People mailing list archives

Robin Milner R.I.P.

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 18:40:22 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brian Randell <Brian.Randell () ncl ac uk>
Date: March 22, 2010 6:12:29 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Robin Milner R.I.P.

Dear Dave:

This very sad news, about one of the UK's leading computer scientists, winner of the 1991 Turing Award, a wonderful person who I was proud to regard as a friend as well as a colleague, has just been posted to the UKCRC (UK Computing Research Committee) mailing list.

Brian

From: Michael Fourman <Michael.Fourman () ED AC UK>
Subject: Sad news

Dear Colleagues,

I am deeply saddened to pass on the following message from Barney and Chloƫ Milner:

"We are sorry to announce that Robin Milner died on Saturday 20th March, in Cambridge, just three days after the funeral of his wife, Lucy.

He will be greatly missed by his family and friends, as well as the academic community.

We are expecting there to be a symposium in due course to provide an opportunity for Robin's many academic colleagues to celebrate him and his work.

From Chloƫ and Barney Milner"

Professor Michael Fourman MSc DPhil FRSE FBCS CITP
Informatics Forum
10 Crichton Street
Edinburgh
EH8 9AB

--
School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK