Interesting People mailing list archives

] re Broadband Stymied

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:49:19 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
Date: March 15, 2010 3:26:00 PM EDT
To: shap () eros-os org
Cc: dave () farber net, Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Subject: Re: [IP] re  Broadband Stymied

*From:* "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <shap () eros-os org <mailto:shap () eros-os org >>

While I appreciate Brett's frustration about grants and sole
proprieterships, the NTIA and USDA rules about sole propriare exactly
as they should be...

I disagree with you. I've run businesses both in corporate and sole proprietor form. Sometimes the former is better, sometimes the latter. It's my choice to make. I should not be punished for my lawful choice.

The larger issue is whether the government's creation of a two-tier caste system in which sole proprietorships are disfavored vis-a-vis corporations is a violation of Equal Protection.

Is government convenience a reason to discriminate against citizens in favor of artificial creations? And I don't see that the fraud argument cuts for or against individuals or that corporate structures are intrinsically more accountable and transparent than are individuals. Indeed recent events suggest that corporate forms are far more opaque and more difficult to hold accountable than individuals.

Moreover, the benefits that are cited to favor corporations are creations of state law and could be changed at any time by acts of state law. In other words the articulated Federal interest in discrimination is based on fifty different shifting foundations and can not be depended upon.

All-in-all it strikes me that Brett's complaint has much merit - that individuals by right and by justice must have the ability to compete face-to-face and toe-to-toe with fictitious legal persons (corporations) on a non-discriminatory basis.

If small businesses - often in the form of sole proprietorships - are, as our President says, the foundation of our national economy then why would we adopt policies that so clearly undermine our national economic foundation?

       --karl--