Interesting People mailing list archives

iPad privacy Catch-22

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 14:02:11 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Perlman <rdp () yikes com>
Date: June 3, 2010 1:38:32 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: iPad privacy Catch-22

Dave, for IP if you wish:

I have discovered what appears to be a privacy Catch-22 with the iPad/
iPhone/iPod-Touch mail app. In the Mail preferences there is an option to
"Load Remote Images." I would normally prefer this setting because it it
possible to associate an email address with an IP Address by using unique
URLs for images. Unfortunately, if "Load Remote Images" is Off, there is no
(obvious) way to view/download the remote images.

On my iPod I decided to always "Load Remote Images" since the image only
actually loads when the message is viewed. I can spot the spam messages that
get past my filter and delete them in the message list without ever opening
the message. This works whether I delete the messages individually, by
swiping across the message in the preview list (which is somewhat awkward),
or by using the Edit->Delete function. I usually use the swipe method in my
inbox, but, when I check through my spam-box I use the Edit-Delete method
because of the volume.

Now the problem: On the iPad, to show off the expanded screen size, Apple
has changed the way Edit->Delete works. Not only is the message checked for
deletion on the message list, but, it is now also displayed on a stack in
the message view pane. Unfortunately, the message is downloaded BEFORE it is
displayed, which means if "Load Remote Messages" is on, the images are
downloaded too.

So, the user is presented with sort of a Sophie's choice: Do not download
images, and have no way of viewing them - even on messages from known or
trusted sources, or download all of the images, even the ones most likely to
present privacy issues.

I believe there are two simple logical resolutions: 1) An option to
"Download Remote Images" on the message viewing pane, or a preference to
"Display messages marked for Editing."

Richard