Interesting People mailing list archives

Dave Reed comment on Spectrum Use

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 12:54:06 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: June 10, 2010 6:50:27 PM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] My comment on Spectrum Use

[Note:  This item comes from friend David Reed.  DLH]

Subject: My comment on Spectrum Use
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 18:49:12 -0400
To: dewayne-net () warpspeed com
From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>

I have chosen recently to take a job that will prevent me for the next N
years from making any technical comments on spectrum use.  However,
before I take that job, let me predict the following thing:

The current FCC (and its focus on auctioning exclusive spectrum rights)
will set back the potential future of scalable and interoperable radio
networking at least 2 decades.  That's 20 years.

The reason (which I made clear almost 10 years ago), is that radio waves
do not interfere with each other in space, and any number of
simultaneous "co-channel" signals can coexist, with the limitation on
their decoding being the well-known "multiple-access channel" capacity
theorem, which demonstrates that at each receiver location, it is
possible to decode many simultaneous transmissions.

This has been demonstrated in the lab in many ways.  Yet the licensing
model of spectrum, purely because of the limitations of technologies
that existed before the digital era, pre-1950, have been set up on the
theory that engineering radios is impossible unless channels are legally
required to be *utterly* dark of co-channel signals.  That such systems
are now possible, using simple ideas such as coding, dynamic adaptation,
and cooperative sharing, is completely being ignored by the "auction
lovers" who have no interest in technically advancing the art of radio
networking.

I am quite sad for the US.   It's certainly not necessary that I work on
this - but I suspect no one else  will.
RSS Feed: <http://www.warpspeed.com/wordpress>