Interesting People mailing list archives

good read re White House Proposes Vast Federal Internet Identity Scheme

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 17:43:57 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: June 27, 2010 4:10:59 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] re  White House Proposes Vast Federal Internet Identity Scheme

Dave,

I feel the need to respond to Andy -- whom I greatly respect -- and to
the readership (whom I also greatly respect!) -- for I fear that Andy
in particular has seriously missed key points of my concerns.  This is
perhaps understandable, in that my initial posting on this topic was
explicitly a thumbnail, and unless someone has the time to go digging
through my past essays on this topic, the backstory may not be
entirely clear.

First, it's important to note that this entire proposal under
discussion, at this stage, is of course nothing but smoke.  It has no
functional reality, other than as a (useful) starting point for
further discussion.

But when viewed in the context of other government-related efforts,
trends, and statements, it is quite alarming nonetheless, and far from
exaggerating its potential impact, I believe I have actually
understated its *potential* for serious negative consequences.
However, like the vision of Christmas Future provided to Ebenezer
Scrooge, it's only a shadow of what might be, not of what must or
necessarily will be.

I'll also address below what Andy incorrectly calls my "error"
regarding OMB and anonymity.

Let's look at one of the "Envision It!" boxes in the plan as posted
at DHS:

  An individual voluntarily requests a smart identity card from
  her home state. The individual chooses to use the card to
  authenticate herself for a variety of online services, including:

      Credit card purchases,
      Online banking,
      Accessing electronic health care records,
      Securely accessing her personal laptop computer,
      Anonymously posting blog entries, and
      Logging onto Internet email services using a pseudonym.

This is, by definition, a state-issued identity card.  The plan
appears to envision a user authenticating themselves for the purpose
even of pseudonym-based or "anonymous" activities.  We can call such a
posting "anonymous" if we wish -- but if the user has already
authenticated, we're then dependent on the "proper" behavior of all
players to actually treat the following transactions in an anonymous
manner.

And anonymous to what extent?  Perhaps a blog comment would appear on
the Web anonymously, but when the lawyers show up demanding to know
who posted that critical comment -- something that's happening with
increasing frequency even now -- I'll bet you dollars to donuts that
the initial authentication records will be available through some
means to unmask the poster, or to correlate pseudo-identities that
users may prefer to use for different purposes and "roles" on the Net.

The goals behind such an expansive identity regime are clear.  While
it could indeed provide some improvements over existing authentication
methods in financial transactions and the like, the cost to civil
liberties could be very high indeed, because -- as I read the plan --
the end result would be a detailed record -- likely captured by
upcoming government proposals for expansive Internet service data
retention requirements -- that could be used to "unwind" (unmask)
anonymity on demand.

As I noted in "Saving Internet Anonymity -- The Struggle is Joined"
( http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000708.html ), the increasingly
shrill calls to put every possible Internet transaction into
government-accessible databases has become an ever louder drumbeat.

And I believe we can easily dismiss the term "voluntary" used in the
proposal -- since there's every reason to believe that such
authentication regimes would quickly become effectively mandatory --
due to various pressures and liability concerns that don't take a lot
of imagination to understand.  Identity "mission creep" is virtually a
certainty, though the conflicts that this is likely to create in an
international environment like the Internet are certainly interesting
to contemplate.

And then there's this.  History, both long past and recent, shows us
very clearly that -- human nature being what it is -- governments on
the whole can't be trusted to not abuse data about their citizens'
activities.  Such abuse will almost always evolve from what initially
appears to be laudable motives of law enforcement and the public
welfare, but could rapidly degenerate into totalitarian nightmares.

Even if you (appropriately) view our current and recent federal
governments as essentially relatively benign, we've still seen many
instances of unjustifiable and even illegal surveillance and Internet
data abuse -- even in the absence of long-term data retention
requirements of the sort now being called for from some quarters.

And even with the best of intentions, firms who are the custodians of
user data and identity info are at the mercy of the civil legal
system, above-board government demands for data, and -- as we've
seen -- "secret" government data demands as well.

Then there's future governments, who might not be as benign, but would
have at their fingertips the vast identity infrastructure being
contemplated.  What will they do with that shiny bauble?

I'm all in favor of discussions about how the Internet industry can
improve the security and validity of transactions that need strong
authentication -- such as in the financial sector or when dealing
with medical health records.  But the sort of government-entangled identity
structure being proposed by the White House in the current
document is -- perhaps even to a very significant degree unintentionally
and with genuinely good intentions -- a wolf in sheep's clothing with the
potential to decimate civil liberties for generations to come.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
  - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, NNSquad
  - Network Neutrality Squad - http://www.nnsquad.org
Founder, GCTIP - Global Coalition
  for Transparent Internet Performance - http://www.gctip.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com

- - -